We recently had an issue with the inability to locate a domain controller when trying to connect to a mapped drive.
User has two mapped drives, when trying to connect to the mapped drive a dialog box is displayed requesting the users username/password. Below this in red is the caption *the system is unable to locate a domain controller to complete this request.
We determined that the user had setup a different DNS in iPV4 – and not the default DNS supplied to them from DHCP.
1. In the bottom right hand corner right click on the network icon – click Open Network and Sharing Center
2. On the left hand side of the screen – click “Change Adapter Settings”
3. Locate the Network Connection being used – right click on it and select Properties
4. Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) – click on it and click Properties
5. If your using DHCP – Click on Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically
6. Click OK and Close
If you’re not using DHCP – Ensure Preferred DNS is set to your local server or Domain Controller – should help resolve your problem